[TUHS] Spacewar at Bell Labs

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jan 15 03:19:17 AEST 2020

Lars Brinkhoff writes:
> Jon Steinhart wrote:
> > I have a copy of double-sun space war (sorry, just the binary) for the
> > PDP-15/GRIN-2 on DEC fan-fold paper tape with the boot loader written
> > in octal on the leader.  Not sure if it's of any use
>
> I'm very interested in this!  Is the paper tape readable somehow?

Now that's an interesting question.  Being paper tape, it's from the days
in which you could see a bit with the naked eye.  Another industrial
artifact that I have somewhere is a paper tape reader, but it would take
time away from skiing to get it working.  Does anybody know if the
Computer History Museum or equivalent has a DEC paper tape reader that
works?  I could probably lay it out on a scanner but that would be
tedious.  Might actually be best, it's over 45 years old and probably
fragile.