[TUHS] Spacewar at Bell Labs

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Wed Jan 15 03:25:44 AEST 2020

I built a paper tape reader at one point, lord knows were it is. It's
pretty easy -- Two pieces of wood to hold the paper with a mm or 2 shaved
off the bottom of one of them the width of the paper tape. Then 9 parallel
holes and put optical transistors connected to a 5 volt supply via a series
resistor, running into a parallel port the 4th one is used as a strobe to
pick of the 8 data bits and small light bulb on the other piece of wood.
 You then just pull it through and its self strobing.   Set up a cat <
/dev/parallel > /tmp/foo
Your basically done, you'll need to pick reasonable values for the
resistors to that match your transistors to switch on/off if the light
passed through the hole.  I've forgotten what I used, it something I had in
the parts box.