[TUHS] Tech Sq elevator (Was: screen editors) [ really I think efficiency now ]

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Wed Jan 15 09:17:46 AEST 2020

Thanks Dan, this message is exactly what I was trying to express.  To
piggyback on some of your idea, one limitation on getting at the
representation is the simplicity of the shell.  If you look back at
The Mother of All Demos, or environments like the LispM, Project
Oberon, Alto, even the BLIT it seems to me like there may be ways to
harmonize the underlying representation with ({use?, implementation?,
mental model?} What is it that makes the unix shell and pipelines so
desirable and unchanged?

One thing I notice is that as my millenial peers learn, adopt, and use
unix as software or doctrine, it is a fixture.  It seems like older
generations have some of this as well but we can make computers do
whatever we want;  there are no rules only conventions.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, there is mounting
science that we basically never change our minds on anything.  The
conversation was useful for solidifying my own views and maybe making
people who have done this for a long time to express their views on
the basics for shared consideration.

Regards,
Kevin