[TUHS] screen editors

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Sat Jan 18 12:06:09 AEST 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020, Jon Steinhart wrote:

> Clem Cole writes:
>>
>> make a new command, don't break the old one....  maybe offer a way to map
>> the new one over the old -- but don't make it the default.
>> and my lawn was lush and green before the snow came ;-)
>
> Clem, this seems like an unusual position for you to take.  vim is backwards
> compatible with vi (and also ed), so it added to an existing ecosystem.

It's like 99% compatible.  The undo change bothered me a lot, I still
don't really 'get' vim's undo method even having mostly given up on
old vi about 10 years ago.  I'm sure it's better, if I ever got around
to learning it, but I agree with Clem, vim's 'enhanced unlmited undo'
should have moved to a different keybinding.

'vim' also moved the "increment number" command to a new key.

And the one that visually bothered me is 'cw' or 'c<anything>',
immediately removes the text that's going to be replaced.  I liked old
vi's way of leaving it there for you to type over.

--
Michael Parson
Pflugerville, TX