[TUHS] Distributed systems, was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question"

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 16:15:11 AEST 2020

On 1/17/20, Brantley Coile <brantley at coraid.com> wrote:
> what he said.
>
>> On Jan 17, 2020, at 6:20 PM, Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Plan 9 is not a "single-system-image cluster".
>>
>> -rob

I guess SSI isn't the right term for Plan 9 clustering since not
everything is shared, although I would still say it has some aspects
of SSI. I was talking about systems that try to make a cluster look
like a single machine in some way even if they don't share everything
(I'm not sure if there's a better term for such systems besides the
rather vague "distributed" which could mean anything from full SSI to
systems that allow transparent access to services/devices on other
machines without trying to make a cluster look like a single system).