[TUHS] [TUHS -> COFF] Distributed systems, was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question"

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 17:30:09 AEST 2020

On 1/17/20, Rob Pike <robpike at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am convinced that large-scale modern compute centers would be run very
> differently, with fewer or at least lesser problems, if they were treated
> as a single system rather than as a bunch of single-user computers ssh'ed
> together.
>
> But history had other ideas.

[moving to COFF since this isn't specific to historic Unix]

For applications (or groups of related applications) that are already
distributed across multiple machines I'd say "cluster as a single
system" definitely makes sense, but I still stand by what I said
earlier about it not being relevant for things like workstations, or
for server applications that are run on a single machine. I think
clustering should be an optional subsystem, rather than something that
is deeply integrated into the core of an OS. With an OS that has
enough extensibiity, it should be possible to have an optional
clustering subsystem without making it feel like an afterthought.

That is what I am planning to do in UX/RT, the OS that I am writing.
The "core supervisor" (seL4 microkernel + process server + low-level
system library) will lack any built-in network support and will just
have support for local file servers using microkernel IPC. The network
stack, 9P client filesystem, 9P server, and clustering subsystem will
all be separate regular processes. The 9P server will use regular
read()/write()-like APIs rather than any special hooks (there will be
read()/write()-like APIs that expose the message registers and shared
buffer to make this more efficient), and similarly the 9P client
filesystem will use the normal API for local filesystem servers (which
will also use read()/write() to send messages). The clustering
subsystem will work by intercepting process API calls and forwarding
them to either the local process server or to a remote instance as
appropriate. Since UX/RT will go even further than Plan 9 with its
file-oriented architecture and make process APIs file-oriented, this
will be transparent to applications. Basically, the way that the
file-oriented process API will work is that every process will have a
special "process server connection" file descriptor that carries all
process server API calls over a minimalist form of RPC, and it will be
possible to redirect this to an intermediary at process startup (of
course, this redirection will be inherited by child processes
automatically).