[TUHS] screen editors

markus schnalke meillo at marmaro.de
Sun Jan 19 08:11:14 AEST 2020

Hoi.

Not wanting to heaten this rather annoying editor discussion, but
as no one yet has mentioned argv[0]:

[2020-01-18 07:37] Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com>
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 10:13:45PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> >
> > To be you are either compatible or not.  I would have been ok to have had
> > an option that you could turn on that gave you new behavior (but make the
> > user turn it on thank you).

> If it was compat by default then you
> wouldn't learn any of the new stuff.

> set compatible

Shouldn't all that be solved by acting compatible if called as
`vi' and being free from compatibility bounds when called as
`vim'?

If I say `vi' I want a vi. If I want Vim, I say so. (No matter
if these are links to the same binary.)

Problem solved. Everyone happy?

meillo