[TUHS] Early Linux and BSD (was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question")

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sun Jan 19 13:12:25 AEST 2020

On Saturday, 18 January 2020 at 21:49:00 -0500, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 03:19:13PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On the other hand, Bill did write the articles in Dr. Dobbs Journal,
>> which started in January 1991, so my best guess is that Linus just
>> wasn't informed about the developments.
>
> I don't believe that to be correct.  "Porting Unix to the 386: Missing
> Pieces, Part 1", by William Frederick Jolitz and Lynne Greer Jolitz,
> was published in the May 1992 issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal.
>
> https://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/porting-unix-to-the-386-missing-pieces-p/184408764

That appears to be a different pair of articles.  My quotation was
from Wikipedia, which I believe to be correct I was working in the USA
in those days, and I saw the magazine in a bookshop in Austin TX.  I
stopped working there in December 1991.  Unfortunately I wasn't very
interested at the time ("who cares about BSD?").  Check the references
in the Wikipedia article.  Unfortunately the Dr. Dobbs site can't find
them.

May 1992 was significantly after the first release of 386BSD in March
1992.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.