[TUHS] Early Linux and BSD (was: On the origins of Linux - "an academic question")

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sun Jan 19 23:48:56 AEST 2020

I don't remember, to be honest, I don't think so. When it first was
released which was before Linus's famous announcement, the ftp site was
from ucbvax and any UCB licensee that asked for got sent a copy of the URL
but you had to ask for it.

It was not a well kept secret.  When the BSDi / UCB vs ATT came later, as
Larry said a lot of us who were primarily driven by wanting a 'real unix'
for the 386 thought it was about copyright and that's when we looked at
Linux.  Then it came out that was a TS suit and many of us switched back
because Linux lacked networking and X11

--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual