[TUHS] CSRG report TR/3 (IPC Architecture)

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Mon Jan 20 03:40:35 AEST 2020

I think the following may have been missed, because folks thought it was more
discussion about the CSRG TR/4.  Read on...

> On Jan 18, 2020, at 01:08, Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:
>
> At the bottom of page 6 TR/4 references TR/3:
>
> A more complete description of the motivation of the IPC architecture
> described here, measurements of a prototype implementation, comparisons
> with other work and a complete bibliography are given in CSRG TR/3: “An IPC
> Architecture for UNIX”.

This was also in the box: about 50 pages, including a four-page bibliography.

An Architecture for Interprocess Communication in UNIX*
-- DRAFT of June 22, 1981 --
William Joy and Robert Fabry

Paul sez:
> Before yesterday I did not know that TR/3 existed and in my (arguable) view
> it is even a bigger find than TR/4, as it gives great insight how design
> trade-offs were perceived back in 1981.

Again, I scanned the paper and then Paul aggregated the scans into a single PDF.
It should be available here:

  http://cfcl.com/private/CSRG_TR_3.pdf

-r