[TUHS] Early Linux and BSD

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Tue Jan 21 04:34:40 AEST 2020

On 1/20/2020 1:09 PM, David Barto wrote:
> My memory as well. A friend and I got ahold of the complete set of chips
> and started to build out the hardware for a Unix box. We got most of the
> way there too, and then the odd quirks started showing up. We tracked
> some of them to our layout and the others to the NS chips. Then we gave
> it up as a “ah, it would have been nice if only” project.
A friend of mine and I did the same, but with 68000. I wrote the
assembler and other utilities, he did the hardware design (although we
both took turns critiquing each other's work), and we both (and his
girlfriend) did the wire-wrapping.

We were eventually consumed by other real-life happenings, and it fell
by the wayside, but looking back at it now, UNIX would have been the
perfect choice. I did have visions of grandeur that I would write my own
OS for it - I'm sure I would have eventually learned my lesson ;)

art k.

PS: We cheated, and used static RAM. A few failed development projects
at my (then) current place of employment, and no one knew what to do
with "all these chips" that were left over. No problem, I know what to
do with them... they wound up in the trunk of my Triumph TR7