[TUHS] Apollo Domain/OS

Theodore Y. Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Wed Jan 22 09:00:25 AEST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 05:36:57PM -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> > A lot of what we take for granted today in distributed computing came via
> > Apollo more than anywhere else, as Apollo users and alumni took what they
> > learned to other systems.
>
> Anyway, we (as a community) are better for having that system but other
> than the registry, I can think of little actual technology that we continue
> to use from Aegis.

The OSF/DCE's RPC system came from Apollo, as does the predecessor for
the UUID layout still in use today (RFC 4122).  Paul Leach brought
both to the OSF, and as the Kerberos V5 Tech Lead, I worked with Paul,
and used an early Internet-Draft spec of the OSF UUID and implemented
it in e2fsprogs for labelling ext2/3/4 superblocks, and from there the
infection vector spread to the GNOME project.  When Paul brought both
of those technologies to Microsoft when he went there after OSF went
belly up.

	     		       	       - Ted