[TUHS] Apollo Domain/OS

Richard Salz rich.salz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 11:18:59 AEST 2020

Paul was still at Apollo at the time that OSF/DCE picked Apollo's NCA/NCS
as the RPC system.  I don't know when he left Apollo (or HP/Chelmsford
after they bought it) for Microsoft, but it was before OSF died.  That
latter happened because Sun (Rob Gingell?) insisted OSF stop doing all
development as the price of ending the Unix wars and joining everyone in
opposing Redmond.  We could no longer say OSF stood for Oppose Sun Forever.

I liked that NCA could handle env vars in pathnames, which Locus also had
IIRC.  Domain also had "fat executables" similar to what Apple did when
migrating across CPUs.  And their build and source system was recreated as
ClearCase.