[TUHS] Unix on Zilog Z8000?

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Thu Jan 23 03:00:52 AEST 2020

Absolutely. When I was an impoverished grad student at Berkeley, Zilog
hired me as a consultant to port vi and the other Berkeley tools to
their Z8000 UNIX system. It was a treasured paying gig.

As I recall, it was a 16 bit system (with some addressing enhancements
ala the 11/70). By then, the VAX was popular and everybody wanted 32 bit
systems. People were pinning their micro-UNIX hopes on the Motorola 68K.

Even before Zilog's ZEUS, Onyx came out with a microwave oven-sized box
based on the Z8000. They loaned one to Berkeley, and it was my first
home computer when I took it home to port the tools. Everything had to
be copied over by serial port.

     Mary Ann