[TUHS] Unix quix

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Jan 23 06:42:18 AEST 2020

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

> Berkeley's license was executed in January 74, so it might be on the list,
> unless there was a big delay.

That makes sense.

> In addition to the Nov 1975 CACM paper, there's CAC 155, published by the
> University of Illinois on 3/15/75 which pre-dates the 6th edition by a few
> months. You can read it here
> https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/32547/networkunixsyste155holm.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y if
> you'd like.

Thanks, that tells us it was 5th (BTW the PDF is missing page 1 in the scan
- although I suspect the missing info can be gleaned from RFC 681)

BTW: There is another hint in CAC 155/RFC 681.  The line on page 2 that
reads: "since the user is allowed only sixteen open files."   My memory is
V6 allowed more than 16, over 20 is my memory; but we would have to look at
the structure to see what it is defined as.

> RFC 681, dated March 18th, 1975, is another instance of an edited CAC 155
> report  (it seems, I've not looked at them exactly, just a quick glance)
> that talks about this work. It's the earliest mention of Unix in an RFC
> (the next one isn't until 2 years later for an email address for Dave
> Crocker DCrocker at Rand-Unix in RFC 724 in May 1977 after which it explodes
> in references).

And that pretty much syncs with my memory of the time.