[TUHS] Spider

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Fri Jan 24 11:28:19 AEST 2020

> Ugh. Memory lane has a lot of potholes. This was a really long time ago.

Many thanks for that post - really interesting!

I had to look up "Pierce Network", and found it described in the Bell Journal:
https://ia801903.us.archive.org/31/items/bstj51-6-1133/bstj51-6-1133_text.pdf

In my reading the Spider network is a type of Pierce network.

However, the network that you remember is indeed most likely different from Spider:
- it was coax based, whereas the Spider line was a twisted pair
- there was more than one, whereas Spider only ever had one (operational) loop

Condon and Weller are acknowledged in the report about Spider as having done many of its hardware details. The report discusses learnings from the project and having to tune repeaters is not among them (but another operational issue with its 'line access modules’ is discussed).

All in all, maybe these coax loops were pre-cursors to the Spider network, without a switch on the loop (“C” nodes in the Pierce paper). It makes sense to first try out the electrical and line data protocol before starting work on higher level functions.

I have no idea what a GLANCE G is...