[TUHS] Screen editors

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Mon Jan 27 06:08:19 AEST 2020

On 1/26/20 1:28 PM, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> "Jose R. Valverde via TUHS" <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>> Talking of editors...
>>
>> On ancient UNIX, my editor of choice was 's' from Software Tools, its
>> main advantage being that it didn't require curses.
>
> That editor was from "A Software Tools Sampler" by Webb Miller, not
> "Software Tools" by Kernighan and Plauger.

Before Miller got heavily into genomics and molecular biology research,
he was doing work with row-replacement algorithms and optimal sequence
calculation and screen updating. I think s is the demonstration vehicle he
used for that research, which is probably why it didn't need or use curses.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/