[TUHS] v7 uucp debugging help requested

Norman Wilson norman at oclsc.org
Sat Jul 4 10:35:52 AEST 2020

Grant Taylor:

  I'm a little surprised that you're trying to use the 'g' protocol to
  talk to v7.  I thought the 'g' protocol came out later for TCP over
  Ethernet connections.  As such I wonder if UUCP on v7 supports the 'g'
  protocol.

=====

You're mis-remembering.  g was the original protocol,
intended for use over possibly-noisy serial lines (e.g.
modems on POTS).  It does error checking of various
sorts with retransmission.  I believe it is named g
after the protocol's original designer, Greg Chesson.

Later protocols meant to work over reliable, error-
checked links like a TCP/IP circuit were t and e.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON