[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 07:14:35 AEST 2020

On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 5:06 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 4:42 PM John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
>
>> I always used the design principle "Write locally, read over NFS".
>>
> This was the basic idea of AFS.  Originally, the CMU folks did whole file
> caching, but by AFS 4.0 time, they had a Locus token manager (think DLM)
> that scaled really well so partial caching was allowed.  It actually made a
> small disk system possible.  What tended to happen, on your first boot, of
> course, you had to fill /bin and lot of heavily used directories.   But
> what happened is that your system quickly had only the files you really
> needed on the local disk. - the ones you were writing, and the few you
> used over and over.
>
> FWIW: I know a couple of people that still run it.  I ran it until a few
> years ago when I switched NAS units just for cost reasons.

There was a neat paper out of CERN a few years ago about how they're
turning down their AFS (now OpenAFS) cells.
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1742-6596/898/6/062040/pdf

It seems that the idea of a big, shared, distributed file namespace is
sadly disappearing. I feel like most of the web-based replacements are not
as seamlessly integrated with my preferred toolset as what they're
replacing, but I've also become more and more acutely aware that I am not
the target audience for those things.

Certainly, real-time collaboration via e.g. Google Drive is pretty amazing
and very dynamic, particularly when paired with e.g. real-time video chat,
but it also forces one into a particular model of interaction that I've
spent most of the last three decades consciously avoiding but now find no
escape from.

        - Dan C.