[TUHS] v7 uucp debugging help requested

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jul 7 05:36:02 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

Huh? I've never seen this, in over 20 years of using vim. To
> insert a newline just use
>
>         s/foobar/foo^V^Mbar/
>
> where ^V^M are Control-V Control-M.

I never thought of that; I've always tried what works in ed, namely:

s/foobar/foo\
bar

and that gives me

foo^@bar

I call that a bug.  (This is vim 8.1).

It certainly wouldn't occur to me to use ^V^M, anyhow:  ^V^J would seem
more reasonable, but ^V is ignored in that context.

Before vim 7 there was a bug so bad I had to use nvi (and, often enough,
compile it from source): at that time, undo undid everything back to the
last action in vi-mode.  If you had never been in vi-mode (as I usually had
not) it undid everything back to the last file-loading command!  That one
made me grind my teeth a lot.  Even now I habitually write before undoing,
just in case.

A male Jang appeared at my side.  "Get a grip on yourself," he said.
"Get a grip on your graks," I suggested.  --Tanith Lee, Drinking Sapphire
Wine