[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Bakul Shah bakul at iitbombay.org
Tue Jul 7 11:07:34 AEST 2020

On Jul 6, 2020, at 9:51 AM, Chris Torek <torek at torek.net> wrote:

>> On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 10:05:57AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
>> We found a bunch of those because computers used to be ECC or parity and
>> then 15 years ago or so, they just dumped the parity bit so single bit
>> errors go unreported (noice, computer industry).
>
> To be fair, there are still some ECC systems.  Unfortunately most
> of the home-use Intel boxes aren't.  My own home-use box isn't and
> (now 6+ years ago) I had bad RAM in it that produced single-bit
> errors in an inode block that led to panics that led to me finding
> the single-bit errors, but I don't know if there are some damaged
> files.
>
> I keep thinking I'll replace it with a new box that does have ECC,
> but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I see some consumer-priced
> AMD CPUs have at least theoretical ECC support but I haven't found
> anything that says the ECC actually works, and have seen a few
> articles that hint that it doesn't.  iX sells NAS boxes that do
> have ECC, though.

For my fileserver I am using a Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming board
with "qualified" ECC RAM (dmidecode confirms this) but I am not
sure if FreeBSD has ECC support for such boards. At least I don't
know how to tell!

What I really want is a laptop with ECC to use as the fileserver
to avoid having to deal with UPS that lasts a few minutes, cabling
and suboptimal support from NUT. SSDs are fast enough for me.
Laptop batteries last long and are easy to replace and easy to
test when to shutdown the laptop. And less heat and space!