[TUHS] [COFF] Topics...

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jul 8 08:53:30 AEST 2020

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:

> I see this type of change happen — in my not so humble opinion — /way/
> /too/ /often/.

It is the nature of unmoderated mailing lists that topics will drift over
time until someone jumps in to change the Subject: (and it really ought to
be a new thread) and hope that others will take the hint.

Yes, I'm just as guilty as others; then again, I've also changed the
subject when I realise my transgression.

> So, I'm wondering if people are interested in configuring TUHS and / or
> COFF mailing list (Mailman) with topics.  That way people could
> subscribe to the topics that they are interested in and not receive
> copies of topics they aren't interested in.

They would then need to see what new topics come up from time to time...

> I'm assuming that TUHS and COFF are still on Mailman mailing lists and
> that Warren would be amicable to such.

I believe they are on Mailman, but I have little experience with running
it.

> To clarify, it would still be the same mailing list(s) as they exist
> today. They would just have the to be utilized option of picking
> interesting topics. Where topics would be based on keywords in the
> message body.

On one list I use, a predecessor of it used to require a subject tag in
the form [Blah] (taken from a set of known tags); I've always hated that,
but I'm still in the habit of putting my own tag there as a hint.

-- Dave