[TUHS] AT&T Research

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Sun Jul 12 06:36:50 AEST 2020

Warren Toomey writes:
> On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 11:36:35AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
> >    https://spinroot.com/pico/watertower.jpg
>
> So there's a question. Obviously all the anecdotes I've heard about
> Bell Labs have come from Unix people. But there were many others
> working and researching there.
>
> How was the interaction between the Unix people and the non-Unix people
> at the Labs? Especially when Unix became "big"? Did the non-Unix people
> also pull pranks like the watertower?
>
> Cheers, Warren

That's kind of a strange question.  I was never a "UNIX person" when I was
there because UNIX just wasn't that big a deal then (versions 3-6).  I worked
on other stuff, and used UNIX for documentation.  I was intrigued and learned
a lot more about it, and hung out in the UNIX room late at night because it
was the place to be, but UNIX was a negligible blip compared to everything
else going on there.  Astonishingly enough, people worked on things related
(even if tangentially) to telephony.

Jon