[TUHS] CR delay for VT05

Richard Tobin richard at inf.ed.ac.uk
Mon Jul 20 09:32:07 AEST 2020

Looking at the 6th edition man page tty(2), I see

     Carriage-return delay type 1 lasts about .08 seconds and is
     suitable for the Terminet 300.  Delay type 2 lasts about .16
     seconds and is suitable for the VT05 and the TI 700.  Delay
     type 3 is unimplemented and is 0.

     New-line delay type 1 is dependent on the current column and
     is tuned for Teletype model 37's.  Type 2 is useful for the
     VT05 and is about .10 seconds.  Type 3 is unimplemented and
     is 0.

Why would the VT05 (a VDU) need a delay for carriage return?
I can just about imagine that it might need one for linefeed
if it shifted the characters in memory.

-- Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.