[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Jul 20 21:49:57 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 03:48:29AM -0600, Andrew Warkentin wrote:
> A/UX runs Mac OS as a Unix process (its default GUI is Mac OS although
> it does also support a traditional X server), making it the opposite
> of MachTen. It has considerable integration between Mac OS and Unix,
> and supports "hybrid" programs (Unix programs that make Mac OS system
> calls and Mac OS programs that make Unix system calls) (which I don't
> think MachTen supports, but I'm not completely sure of that). It is
> one of only two Unices that I'm aware of that runs another OS in a
> process to provide its main GUI (the other is a much more recent Linux
> distribution that runs AROS; I'm not counting  things like running
> Windows under Merge or VP/IX because those were usually used in
> addition to X11).

This isn't quite the same but Victor Yodaiken wrote a real time kernel
that ran all of Linux as a user process.  Super cool idea and it worked
great, he would demo it sampling the parallel port while Linux was running
some X11 perf thing, tarring up /usr and untarring on nfs://server/tmp/usr
and doing a ftp transfer.  Basically beating the crap out of Linux as
hard as he could while running a real time sampler and it never missed.

Clem should pay attention, in my opinion, this is how you do Unix and
real time.  Because Unix is time sharing and throughput, that is the
opposite of what real time is.  Wedging real time into Unix is a mistake.

http://mcvoy.com/lm/papers/rtlmanifesto.pdf

--lm