[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jul 21 03:24:20 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 7:51 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> This isn't quite the same but Victor Yodaiken wrote a real time kernel
> that ran all of Linux as a user process.

The Bell Labs MERT system did almost the same thing: its low-priority
process was a Unix emulator along the lines of MS WSL 1.  See <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-Environment_Real-Time> for basics and
links.

Similarly, the PDP-8's modular real-time system RTS/8 had a symbiotic
relationship with OS/8, the single-user operating system; you programmed
and built instances of RTS/8 under OS/8 and then booted them, but if you
had enough memory, you could include the OS8 [sic] task in the RTS build
and it would run OS/8 as the lowest priority task.

This great college [Trinity], of this ancient university [Cambridge],
has seen some strange sights. It has seen Wordsworth drunk and Porson
sober. And here am I, a better poet than Porson, and a better scholar
than Wordsworth, somewhere betwixt and between.  --A.E. Housman