[TUHS] 211BSD Version in the Unix Archive

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jul 21 03:49:00 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:46 AM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm currently doing some work with 211BSD and the best version that I've
> come across for my investigations is the one put together by Andre Luvisi,
> based on the distro in the Unix Archive at
> https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD

You should look at the canonical tuhs archive at
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/

> So far as I can figure out (and I'm a little bit fuzzy around the edges),
> this appears to be patch level 431, at least according to
> https://tuhs.v6shell.org/UnixArchiveMirror/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/VERSION.
> I have a number of questions that hopefully, someone can shed some light on:

1. Is it really pl 431?

Yes.  It is.

> 2. How can I tell?

VERSION is always updated, so it is. If you are in doubt, you can look at
the patch files that's at
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD/Patches/ and they
all update VERSION.

> 3. Is it the latest tape image available (I've seen plenty of disk images,
> but those are already installed)?

Yes. Well, almost.
https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/UCB/2.11BSD_patch457/ has a tape
that's updated to 457, lacking only the last 12 changes. A most current
tape hasn't been regenerated, at least in the archives. A quick search of
github shows there's a few PiDP-11 oriented versions but I've not looked
closely at them.

> 4. Is there a howto bring it up to the next patch level document lying
> around somewhere?

There's two or three efforts to create shell scripts to apply the patches.
I've not looked closely at them all yet...

> I've seen Warner's work on going the other direction and that's
> fascinating in it's own right, but I'd like to see about patching up to
> latest

When my work is done, there will be a github repo that has all the changes
applied, one at a time which can be used to generate context diffs or
something else that can be pushed to the PDP-11s that can be updated.

Warner