[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Arno Griffioen arno.griffioen at ieee.org
Tue Jul 21 03:44:48 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 12:35:44PM -0400, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> On 7/20/2020 5:46 AM, Arno Griffioen wrote:
> > Mid 90's I did a number of UUCP and (Send)Mail, Usenet, etc. setups on
> > these and by some creative interaction with the MacOS side and clients
> > it allowed the 'Mac ecosystem' LAN and software of the day to send and receive
> > 'internet' mail and such.
> I was involved in USENET back in the early-to-mid 90's, and never heard of
> Mac stuff going on, but then, I'm in the US. The USENET stuff I built was
> Intel as front-end w/SVR4.2, and SPARC (-LX) as the backend file server. I
> never realized there was any sort of "-nix" for Macs back then.

To be fair.. The number of installs I did on SCO boxes and such far, far
outnumbered those of A/UX ones.

They were pretty special in those days, not to mention horrendously expensive
if you compared a fully loaded IIfx with A/UX to a 486 with SCO UNIX, even on
a decent Compaq.

SCO being pretty much the bread&butter of most small to medium companies
at that time to run things like their accounting software and such across
many remote terminals (either actual ones or other PC's telnetting in..).

							Bye, Arno.