[TUHS] Traditional method of dealing with embedded shar files

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jul 21 03:52:57 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 1:25 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> My questions for y'all are how would you go about doing this? Use vi to
> delete everything through the ==== cut here line?

Yep

> In my world, if I screw something up, it's 15 seconds to run a restore
> script in my simh directory and I can try again, so my level of concern for
> a mistake is pretty low. If I was doing this in 1980, on real hardware, I
> would have had many concerns, as I'm sure some of y'all can remember, how
> did you prepare and protect yourselves so a patch was successful.

Run an incremental backup and/or copy the files you new you we were messing
with.  The good news was that patch makes backups.

> BTW, I thought .shar was an archive format, so when I saw the patch was a
> shar file,

It was so of.  It was a way to send files around that people could easily
execute and you new would work through 7-bit based email which is all the
SMTP guaranteed in the early days.   Yeh but .. uucp was 8 yep.  But some
of the legs of the USENET were luck to be based on Arpanet site, which
might have had a mailer running BITNET.  When shar was created the 'least
needed' style assumptions were used.   As it was it was often that people
put tarballs, then compressed them and then uuencoded them inside.  Often a
space savings and made it easier -> compressed tar was pretty good, and
even with the 3 8-bit chars as 4 6-bit chars of uuencode it will worked out
well in practice.