[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Tue Jul 21 11:04:11 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 05:11:48PM -0500, Ed Carp wrote:
> On 7/20/20, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> > Clem should pay attention, in my opinion, this is how you do Unix and
> > real time.  Because Unix is time sharing and throughput, that is the
> > opposite of what real time is.  Wedging real time into Unix is a mistake.
>
> Agreed.

So many people get this wrong, they want to make "real time" in Unix "good
enough" and it messes with everything.  Victor's idea was awesome.

And you know what sucks?  I was on the Usenix review committee and I gave
it 2 thumbs up but someone else, looking at you, Rob, said it was not
interesting because the real time kernel wasn't POSIX.  Even though the
real time kernel had pipes, signals, and shared memory with Linux.

He was a bigger deal than me so it didn't get published.

I love the Rob in question, not Pike, but this was one of the most bone
headed calls I've ever seen him make.  The world needed to see this.

Wind River bought it and buried it because it competed with their stuff
that was nowhere near as good.