[TUHS] /bin vs /sbin

David Arnold davida at pobox.com
Wed Jul 22 08:42:21 AEST 2020

> On 22 Jul 2020, at 04:15, Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

<…>

> The root disks date from a time before Linux had shared libraries, I thought,

IIRC, Linux had two different shared library implementations?  I haven’t looked, and don’t remember the details, but it might have been linked to the switch from a.out to ELF for executables?  IIRC, the pre-ELF shared libs were a hack on the a.out executable format.

Not sure where that fits into the /etc vs. /sbin timeline.  ISTR Linux was somewhat inclined away from the BSD way of doing things (in favour of Solaris/SVR4).