[TUHS] /bin vs /sbin

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Jul 22 13:27:59 AEST 2020

On 7/21/20 7:16 PM, tytso at mit.edu wrote:
> Yeah, that's definitely not right.  /sbin had been around for
> "essential system binaries" long before Linux, and Linux took it
> from there.

I'm sorry, I think there has been a misunderstanding.  I did not mean to
imply that Linux influenced the larger Unix community with /sbin.
Rather the other way around, that that's the time that Linux had been
influenced about /sbin.

> You can see this from the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (earlier
> named fsstnd, which specified /sbin as "essential system binaries").

I should revisit that, particularly in light of an older name and use.

> SunOS used that nomenclature and the GNU tools all used /sbin for
> that purpose.

Did Solaris follow in SunOS's foot steps?  Or did Solaris do something
different?

> The other thing I'd again urge is that you not take HJ Lu's boot/root
> disks as being influencial after early 1992.

Okay.  I naively thought that HJ Lu's boot/root was falling out of favor
in '93, a year later.  Thank you for clarifying Warner.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die