[TUHS] A/UX [was Linux is on-topic]

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Fri Jul 24 10:01:01 AEST 2020

On Jul 20, 2020, at 12:49 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:

> I also had one of the few copies of MacMach that ran on a IIfx.
> No one in Cupertino was very interested in Mach.

I really wish this had been preserved. MacMach from what I saw meeting the last of the people involved at CMU in 1993-4 was a lot like A/UX in having System 6 as a process under Mach with BSD either colocated or running as a single server.

I have a friend who still had one of CMU's distribution CD right up until a couple years ago, when he trashed a bunch of stuff to move to another continent. :( If anyone else has one, it'd be news to me. The closest I have is an image of the bootstrap floppy; you normally got MacMach on campus by booting from a floppy that would start up a minimal Mach+BSD+shell; you would boot it, configure TCP/IP, partition your disk, and then SUP the rest of the distribution.

  -- Chris