[TUHS] Troff to ps

Brad Spencer brad at anduin.eldar.org
Mon Jul 27 21:07:11 AEST 2020

Jaap Akkerhuis <jaapna at xs4all.nl> writes:

>>> When was dpost born?
>>>
>>> N.
>>
>> Eighth Edition, as part of ditroff.  It wouldn't help on 2.11BSD anyway,
>> as dpost reads the ascii intermediate form from ditroff, not the C/A/T
>> typesetter codes from original troff.
>
> I don't know when it was born.  It came from the Documentors Work
> Bench (DWB).  The DWB used various to create the appropriate font
> tables using the target postscript interpreter the fonts were used.
> As far as I know, dpost and these tools were created by Rich Drechsler.
>
> 	jaap

I don't know when it was born either, but I do know that there was a
port of it to a Vax running System V at 6200 Broad Street where I worked
in the late 90s.  It is highly likely it was actually a port of DWB
running on the Vax, but I could not tell you for sure.  We had to use it
to get working output for one of the printers we had.

--
Brad Spencer - brad at anduin.eldar.org - KC8VKS - http://anduin.eldar.org