[TUHS] 2bsd tarball

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jul 29 10:09:31 AEST 2020

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 5:04 PM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I was able to locate 2bsd.tar.gz and spencer_2bsd.tar.gz in the
> archive. Neither is an installation tape. It appears that they are just
> tarballs of their respective systems (there are very minor differences
> between the two).
>
> In the TAPE file in the tarball, it talks about reading the tar program
> off of the tape using:
> dd if=/dev/mt0 bs=1b skip=1 of=tar
>
> Well, tar is definitely not located at that address, which implies that
> the tarball isn't a distro tape. This note in the archive used to read:

> The remaining gzipped tar files are other 2BSD distributions supplied by
> Keith Bostic, except for spencer_2bsd.tar.gz which came from Henry Spencer.
> They do not contain installation tape images. The 2.9BSD-Patch directory
> contains patches to 2.9BSD dated August 85, and again supplied by Keith Bostic.

> now it reads:
>
> 2.11BSD 2.11BSD-pl195.tar is a copy of 2.11BSD at patch level 195, supplied
> by Tom Ivar Helbekkmo. spencer_2bsd.tar.gz is a version of 2BSD which came
> from Henry Spencer.
>
> I recall having to do something with cont.a files, which are not present on these images. So, my questions is, does anyone know of or have an actual 2bsd tape/tape image?
>
> Both of the 2bsd tapes you found are from the days when Berkeley just sent
patches to the 7th Edition out. The 2.8BSD tape was the first one to have a
kernel that was bootable from the tape. The 2BSD tapes originally had 2
files on them. The first one was a binary copy of tar that ran on V7. The
second was a tarball of all the rest. As you discovered, they shipped with
a label like:
        Second Berkeley Software Tape
        May 10, 1979    TAR 800BPI

        %dd if=/dev/mt0 bs=1b skip=1 of=tar
        %chmod 755 tar
        % tar x

        10000 blocks
but the 2bsd.tar.gz file has just the second file.

The spensor_2bsd.tar.gz has a tar binary in it:

tar tvf spencer_2bsd.tar.gz | head
-rw-r--r--  0 0      0       24688 Feb 17  1980 tar
-rw-r--r--  0 0      10       3687 Feb 17  1980 tar.1
-rw-r--r--  0 0      10        456 Feb 17  1980 tar.ms
-rw-r--r--  0 0      10      15216 Feb 17  1980 install.ms

if you are looking for that pre-built. If you are looking to create a tape
with tar on it to extract other tar tapes, you'd need to use a variation on
the maketape.pl with a block size of 1 so the above dd will work on the
target system...

Warner