[TUHS] non-blocking IO

Paul Winalski paul.winalski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 04:56:59 AEST 2020

On 6/2/20, Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> My response at the time was to question whether asynchrony itself remains
> untamed, as Doug put it, or if rather it has proved difficult to retrofit
> asynchrony onto a system designed around fundamentally synchronous
> primitives?

I think that's a very good question.  It's analogous to
record-oriented I/O vs. byte stream I/O.  It's easy to build
record-oriented I/O on top of a byte stream, but it's a real bear to
do it the other way around.  Similarly, it's easy to build synchronous
I/O on top of asynchronous I/O but the reverse ends up looking
contrived.

-Paul W.