[TUHS] non-blocking IO - threads

Jon Steinhart jon at fourwinds.com
Wed Jun 3 08:03:58 AEST 2020

Lawrence Stewart writes:
> I’ve always thought select(2) was a pretty good thing.  In 1995 at Open
> Market we had a single-process web server that had no difficulties
> running 1000 to 1200 connections.  I think that was BSD, and later OSF-1.

So select was a great thing until interactive graphics came along.  Just
got too messy.  I recall writing assembly language code to support threads
in the mid to late 1980s, and I remember reading some papers from Sun about
the same.  Everybody was doing it.  Anybody have enough of the history to
paint a picture of how we got from there to standardized threads?

Jon