[TUHS] non-blocking IO

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 02:00:52 AEST 2020

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 12:51 PM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 04, 2020 at 08:19:58AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The kicker is that all of the kernel is callback driven. The
> > upper half queues the request and then sleeps until the lower half
> signals
> > it to wakeup. And that signal is often just a wakeup done from the
> > completion routine in the original request. All of that would be useful
> in
> > userland for high volume activity, none of it is exposed...
>
> Yeah, I've often wondered why this stuff wasn't exposed.  We already have
> signal handlers, seems like that maps.

Was it Rob who said that signals were really just for SIGKILL? Here,
signals would be gang-pressed into service as a general IPC mechanism. In
fairness, they've mutated that way, but they didn't start out that way.
While I obviously wasn't there, the strong impression I get is that by the
time people were seriously thinking about async IO in Unix, the die
had already been cast for better or worse.

> I tried to get the NFS guys at Sun to rethink the biod junk and do it like
> UFS does, where it queues something and gets a callback.  I strongly
> suspect
> that two processes, one to queue, one to handle callbacks, would be more
> efficient and actually faster than the biod nonsense.
>
> That's one of the arguments I lost unfortunately.
>
> Warner, exposing that stuff in FreeBSD is not really that hard, I suspect.
> Might be a fun project for a young kernel hacker with some old dude like
> you or me or someone, watching over it and thinking about the API.

I'm going to actually disagree with you here, Larry. While I think a basic
mechanism wouldn't be THAT hard to implement, it wouldn't compose nicely
with the existing primitives. I suspect the edge cases would be really
thorny, particularly without a real AST abstraction. For instance, what
happens if you initiate an async IO operation, then block on a `read`?
Where does the callback happen? If on the same thread, The real challenge
isn't providing the operation, it's integrating it into the existing model.

As a counter-point to the idea that it's completely unruly, in Akaros this
was solved in the C library: all IO operations were fundamentally
asynchronous, but the C library provided blocking read(), write(), etc by
building those from the async primitives. It worked well, but Akaros had
something akin to an AST environment and fine-grain scheduling decisions
were made in userspace: in Akaros the unit of processor allocation is a CPU
core, not a thread, and support exists for determining the status of all
cores allocated to a process. There are edge cases (you can't roll-your-own
mutex, for example, and the basic threading library does a lot of heavy
lifting for you making it challenging to integrate into the runtime of a
language that doesn't use the same ABI), but by and large it worked. It was
also provided by a kernel that was a pretty radical departure from a
Unix-like kernel.

        - Dan C.