[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Sun Jun 7 19:22:21 AEST 2020

On 6/7/20, arnold at skeeve.com <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
> Ed Carp <erc at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> "Arnold once told that there is more demand for C developers
>> in Israel. I envy you"
>
> The market in Israel for software developers is VERY hot.
>
> Based entirely on the emails I get from Linked-In about jobs that may
> interest me, there's some C, but a lot more C++, both Windows and Linux.
> Also a lot of Python.

Seriously, is anyone still doing any real development in C besides
kernel programming and embedded world??  Maybe I was living under a
rock, but I always had an impression that the industry moved to C++ in
the late 90s and stayed with it ever since.

The last bastion of C was open source Linux/*BSD programming but I
remember the time when C was a truly universal programming language
used for _everything_ including games (e.g. Doom).  Maybe I just miss
the 90s.

--Andy