[TUHS] History of popularity of C

Adam Thornton athornton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 11:02:18 AEST 2020

> On Jun 7, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 07, 2020 at 11:26:45AM -0400, Clem Cole wrote:
>> That said, I personally am the most excited about Go theses day, but I'm
>> also thinking Rust looks pretty interesting, but my experience with both
>> compared to C is extremely nominal.  Neither language is used for anything
>> in production in our world at this point.
>
> If I had to move to a modern language it would be Go.  I looked at Rust
> and barfed.

Several years ago, this was a job talk I gave, based on my experience at the time developing a pretty nifty system that never found traction.

The new job (I got it!) doesn’t use Go, so I’ve grudgingly gone back to Python.  But I stand by most of what I wrote (although I am sure parts of it are outdated and wrong now).

The tl;dr is the title of the talk:

https://athornton.github.io/go-it-mostly-doesnt-suck

I make the claim that Go *is* pretty much C with 35 years of lessons learned about what did and didn’t work in C, and 35 years of machine time getting cheaper and programmer time getting more expensive.

Adam