[TUHS] v7 K&R C [really lexers]

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 00:03:03 AEST 2020

Hi Rich,

> Does anyone have the Usenix paper (80's timeframe I think) about making lex
> go fast?  It was by Vern Paxson or Van Jacobson IIRC. Maybe only an
> abstract was published.  The talk ended with a chart showing some CPU
> times, and the modified lex was only slightly slower than cat. Maybe Vern
> since he contributed to what became flex.

Google Scholar's ‘Vancouver’ style citation:

    Jacobson V. Tuning UNIX Lex or it's NOT true what they say
    about Lex.  InUSENIX Conference Proceedings (Washington,
    DC, Winter 1987) 1987 (pp. 163-164).

Lack of space after ‘In’ is Google, not me.

I didn't find the paper itself, just citations of it.

--
Cheers, Ralph.