[TUHS] Fwd: Origins and life of the pg pager

Mary Ann Horton mah at mhorton.net
Mon Jun 15 09:37:35 AEST 2020

Eric Shienbrood at Berkeley wrote "more" around 1979, and it was the
standard BSD pager. It was inspired by the --More-- option in the ITS
terminal driver at MIT.

"pg" did not come from Berkeley. My recollection is that it came from
AT&T in response to requests to include "more", which was in exptools at
Bell Labs but not in any standard AT&T system. "pg" is not in my UNIX
5.0 manual, but it's in my SVID with the comment "New in System V
Release 2".

UNIX 5.0 was the AT&T internal pre-release of System V.  SVID was the
System V Interface Definition from AT&T.

     Mary Ann