[TUHS] Fwd: Origins and life of the pg pager

Michael Siegel msi at malbolge.net
Thu Jun 18 22:49:00 AEST 2020

Hello everyone,

now that I'm subscribed to this list as well, first let me say thank you
for all the info on pg(1) you've provided. I really wasn't expecting
that much.

The only thing I'm able to add here is that, shortly after I had sent my
question to Warren, I discovered that the Rationale section in the POSIX
description of more(1) explicitly says:

  The more utility, available in BSD and BSD-derived systems, was chosen
  as the prototype for the POSIX file display program since it is more
  widely available than either the public-domain program less or than
  pg, a pager provided in System V.[1]

This also strongly suggests that pg(1) never made it into POSIX. Well,
if I'm not mistaken, that quote actually says that pg(1) didn't make it
into POSIX.

Michael

[1]
https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/more.html#tag_20_81_18