[TUHS] VFS prior to 1984

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jun 25 00:31:29 AEST 2020

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > Ioctl: the Swiss Army knife of system calls.  I thought it was a neat
    > idea when it arrived (much better then those primitive stty/gtty calls)
    > but now...

Like they say, when the only tool you have is a hammer...

Better syntax than stty/gtty, maybe but I'm not sure the semantics are that
much better. The problem is that, especially with devices, what the I/O
commands do is so widely varied that it's hard to fit them all under a
unified umbrella. Maybe some (e.g. asynchronous I/O), but not all.

	Noel