[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Mar 4 16:03:55 AEST 2020

On Wed, 4 Mar 2020, Tyler Adams wrote:

> > These go all the way back to v7 unix, where ls has an option to
> > reverse the sort order (which could have been done by passing the
> > output to tac).
>
> Good point. Why was this done in v7 unix and why wasn't it thrown out?

I seem to recall that "sort -r" was in V6, or perhaps that was one of the
programs I'd back-ported from V7 (being stuck with 11/40-class boxes).

And speaking of "tac" (which I never saw), I couldn't think of a single
use for "rev" (although no doubt I'll now get told).  Mind you, you get
some amusing output with the "man" command because of the way that the
underlining works...

-- Dave