[TUHS] First appearance of named pipes

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Sat Mar 7 06:41:57 AEST 2020

The Luderer paper on distributed Unix has the following paragraph:

"A new special UNIX interprocess communication mechanism is the fifo, which provides communication between unrelated processes by associating a new special file type with a file name. Since remote fifos are legal, they can be used for interprocessor communication between S-UNIX machines or between an S-UNIX machine and an F-UNIX machine.”

The paper is from late 1981. Maybe I’m especially mud-eyed today, but I cannot see FIFO’s implemented in V7..V8 or 4.1xBSD. When did FIFO’s become a standard Unix feature?

Paul