[TUHS] First appearance of named pipes

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Mar 7 07:10:34 AEST 2020

BTW:  My memory is that Joy did not like them for some reason,
probably because they were not as sexy as some of the stuff Accent could do
(but that's a guess -- I've forgotten).  So with 4.2, Joy created Unix
domain sockets.

BTW: a slow cache refresh is occurring in my brain ... I remember one of
the things that there was a lot of arguing/moaning about at the time was
the directionality of such a feature.  Bruce's hack from the mid-70s was
unidirectional and you needed two pipes to go both ways.