[TUHS] First appearance of named pipes

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Mar 7 23:29:05 AEST 2020

below.. in-line

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 7:18 AM Paul Ruizendaal <pnr at planet.nl> wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback, all.
>
> Rand ports were done in 1977 by Sunshine/Zucker. I’ve only come across
> Rand Ports in the context of V6 and the Arpa crowd 1977-1981. I’ve never
> seen a reference to Rand Ports on V7 or later. This of course does not mean
> that it did not exist.

Steve Glaser hacked was playing with them at Tektronix in 1979, as he had
put them into their V6 system before I got there IIRC.   I switched the
user code to use Chesson's MPX in V7, which is why I think they never were
used much in V7.

I've forgotten what Bruce used for UNET - I'm CC'ing him here, hoping to
jog his memory.,

> I’ve dug further, and it would seem that named pipes under the name ‘fifo’
> appeared first in SysIII (1980). That matches with Luderer’s remark. It
> does not seem to exist in the Research editions. It only appears in BSD in
> the Reno release, 1990. All in all, it would seem that ‘fifo’s were a SysV
> thing for most of the 80’s, with the BSD lineage using domain sockets
> instead (as Clem mentioned).

Yes, that's right.  And if you were someone like Masscomp or Pyramid trying
to thread both systems, we had both in our kernels.