[TUHS] First appearance of named pipes

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sun Mar 8 12:47:00 AEST 2020

I hear you but sockets are here to stay.  Sun tried to get rid of them
by going to a STREAMS networking stack (not saying that was in any way
a better answer, just different).  Didn't work, they had to put sockets
back, there was just way too much software written around the socket API.

I tried to make a more sane interface and never got to something that
handled all the edge cases.

Did Plan 9 make it sane?  If so, care to say how or point me at something
like Masscomp's introduction to network programming?

--
---