[TUHS] Command line options and complexity

Tyler Adams coppero1237 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 19:30:57 AEST 2020

The idea of a simple rule is great, but the suggested rule fails on sort -u
which afaik came after sort | uniq for performance reasons.

Another idea on the same vein is that a flag should be added only when the
job can be done inside the program and not with stdin/stdout (or no flag
can be added if one can reproduce the same behavior using pipelines).

So, you need sort -u because only within sort can you get the performance
needed to get the job done.

But you don't need -h in ls -lh. All the information to render a human
readable number is present on stdout of ls -l. You could easily have a
filter which renders numbers with options like adding commas, dots,
scientific notation, precision, money, units, etc.

Tyler